Thursday, 3 April 2014

Terryl Whitlach

So recently I created a post about a book I've read recently, 'The wildlife of STARWARS a field guide', and mentioned that I wanted to check out the artist involved. I now present Terryl Whitlach!

 





 
This artist is amazing. It is clear from just scanning briefly across her work that she is highly knowledgeable in anatomy of a vast amount of species and easily manages to create believable breeds of her own by mixing aspects of each creature, carefully keeping in mind how the skeletal and muscle structure would sit underneath.

 

 
Once researching into this artist, it is then understandable how Whitlach got into this frame of mind whilst designing. With a father who taught high school biology and chemistry and a talented illustrator as a mother, Whitlach already had a creative streak in her blood mad with her father constantly bringing home creatures in jars for her to examine she has a constant flow of animal anatomy reference, increasing her interest in creature anatomy and the want to draw them. To add to the inspiration, her grandfather also has a large range where she frequently visited his horses, eventually being her favourite animal and you can see this in her work as a variety of different horse variations are seen in her designs. 

 
 
 
Studying vertebrate zoology and having an I depth knowledge of animal anatomy alongside artistic skill, Terryl Whitlach combined her skills to create incredible illustrations and is now considered one of the top creature designers in the world. 

As shown in the earlier post, this vast knowledge has led to her being largely desired in the art industry and Is best known for her works for Lucasfilm ltd drawing the creatures, but has also worked with large companies such as Warner Bros. Entertainment and Disney. 

 
I find Terryl Whitlach a huge inspiration, and hope to some day illustrate and design creatures as perfect as hers!


          .... for Terryl Whitlach click here

No comments:

Post a Comment